Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I Was Right! (Except…)

My earlier prognostications regarding the success of small booksellers seem to be panning out. All of my customers are small to medium sized booksellers, so I don't have first hand feedback from chain buyers, but my customers were about 95% happy with the way last year wrapped up and have been having a good start to 2012.

The exceptions are the Internet-only booksellers. These are customers who only sell on Amazon Marketplace, Alibris, eBay, and the other aggregators. I don’t know why this is. Maybe this is the exact market segment that's getting hit by ebooks, or bargain has become too broadly available, therefore spreading sales between too many sellers and portals.

I'm posting this to see if any followers have thoughts as to what this is about. If you're uncomfortable posting here, feel free to send me an email or tweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment